What is the Parents Association? Cad é Comhairle na dTuismitheoirí
The parents’ association is the structure through which parents in a school can work together for the best possible education for their children. The Parents’ Association works with the Principal, Staff and the Board of Management to build effective partnership between the home and school. Partnership between the home and school is important because with positive and active partnership the child gets the best that primary education can offer. The Education Act 1998 sets down the role of the Parents Association:
A Parents’ Association shall promote the interests of the students in a School in co-operation with the Board, the Principal, the Teachers and the Students.
The same Act also sets down broad tasks for a Parents’ Association as ways of implementing that role:
• To discuss matters relating to the school with the Principal and the board.
• To encourage the involvement of parents in the operation of the school.
• To adopt a programme of activities to promote community spirit in the school.
In order to do these tasks well, the Comhairle needs to have effective means of
- Consulting with parents so that they can express their views on school policy & matters relating to the school
- Finding out from parents about the kinds of activities that will promote parental involvement for the benefit of the students
- Finding out from students about how the Comhairle can be of help to them
- Consulting with & advising the principal & Board of Management.
Finally, the Comhairle in working together has responsibility for the future development of the Comhairle:
- The planning & management of the programme of activities for the year.
- Communicating, consulting & involving as many parents as possible in these activities
- Communicating & consulting with the other partners in the school
- Planning agendas, keeping records and managing finances
Comhairle na dTuismitheoirí 2021/22
Contact: Comhairle email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Cathaoirleach/Chairperson: Tríona Hassett
- Cathaoirleach/Chairperson: Darina Greene
- Rúnaí/Secretary: Joanne Behan
- Cisteoir/Treasurer: Sandra Murch
- Ionadaí an Bhoird Bhainistíochta/Board of Management Rep: Tiarnán Ó Ruairc
- Ionadaí an Bhoird Bhainistíochta/Board of Management Rep: Gráinne Ryan
- Caidrimh Phoiblí agus Meáin Shóisialta/Public Relations and Social Media : Gloria Callanan
- Ball/Member : Catherine Downes
- Ball/Member : Jennifer Quirke
- Ball/Member : Elaine Kenny
- Ball/Member: John O Farrell
Objectives – Aidhmeanna
- To foster a spirit of partnership between the school, the home & the Dept. of Education & Science
- To promote active participation by parents/guardians in the education of their children
- To keep parents/guardians informed of developments in the educational system
- To present parents’/guardians’ views to the Board of Management/An Bord Bainistíocht
- To assist in any way possible in the children’s extra-curricular activities
- To facilitate & encourage parents/guardians to learn & speak Irish
The Comhairle shall consist of 8-10 executive members. These members shall be elected from the body of parents/guardians at the AGM. 2 shall be both Parent Representatives to the Board of Management & will have automatic membership. The term of office of the Comhairle shall be for 1 year from AGM to AGM. The members of the Comhairle shall elect a Chairperson, Secretary, Treasurer, Public Relations Officer and any other officers as are required E.g. Vice-Chairperson etc. The Comhairle shall meet at least twice each term. In order to conduct its business, a quorum of 4 people is required.
[2018-2019 Members – Internal link to members].
The Coiste Chairde (open to all members of the Comhairle & parents) shall be deemed to be a sub-committee of the Comhairle for the purposes of fundraising & social event organisation. The Comhairle may set up sub-committees from time to time to carry out particular tasks. There should be at least 1 member of the Comhairle on any of its sub-committees.
Accounts – Airgeadais
Any accounts held by the Comhairle will be opened in the name “Comhairle Tuismitheoirí Gaelscoil Mhíchíl Cíosóg.” Accounts shall be prepared & presented annually for submission to the AGM. All expenses shall be paid by cheque & signed by 2 of the 3 named persons-Chairperson/Secretary/Treasurer.
Activities – Gníomhachtaí
The following are activities that GMC Parents Association manage or help out with throughout the school year:
· Input for parents of the new junior infant classes
· Organising school discos
· Tea/Coffee reception at different events in the school such as communion and confirmation talks.
· Design and print annual school calendar
· Christmas cards
· Facilitating and coordinating the annual photo day at the school
· Organising an Easter fun event (in the past this has been Easter Egg Hunt and Family Team Challenges)
· Support cake sales within the schools
· Organising and managing the Communion reception for students and their family
· Organising albs for the Confirmation
· Organising Fainne Ór for the 6th class students
· Coordinating events for the sports day
· Helping to recruit volunteers for the annual sports day in June.
· Collaborating with the staff of the school to organise information events including Internet safety and update from the Gael Cólaiste( LCETB)
· Fund Raising for the Halla Nua major events have included a Fashion Show, The Cube, Pedal Powered Cinema,Paddy McShamrock
· Ongoing fund raising for the Halla Nua
· Leath’s Leath
· Cash for Clobber